bookwyrmingthoughts

Senshi
Cole Gibsen
Scarlette
Davonna Juroe
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) - Cassandra Clare Original Review Posted on Bookwyrming Thoughts.
Original Rating: 4.5

Note: Format is lost due to copy and pasting

I was curious what the Shadowhunter hoopla (yes, I said hoopla. Don't be surprised?) was about, considering the fact City of Bones is becoming a movie this August (thank the trailer. It was the cause of my curiosity, along with a bunch of other stuff). No, I haven't read The Mortal Instruments. Yet. I probably wouldn't have if it didn't become a movie, despite the fact the covers are extremely pretty and practically shouting at me for the last few years with the words “READ ME! READ ME PLEASE!” when I walk by or browse the reading section at Wal-mart.

As a result of first impressions, I'm pretty much sucked in. But... (there's always a but) I'm not fully sucked in and fangirling. Yet. I'm pretty sure it won't be far off though. Or maybe I'm sort of fangirling, but I haven't realized it yet because the books haven't hit me full force (hey... this is my first time reading Cassandra Clare after all).

Goodness. If you keep seeing Six-Fingered Nigel like this, he'll expect you to declare your intentions.

Tessa arrives in London from New York in the 19th Century to look for her brother, who has somehow disappeared. She is taken in and trained by the Dark Sisters in preparation for the Magister and is later taken in by the local Shadowhunters, who offer to help find her brother. Tessa is the type of person who can always be found reading, and enjoys talking about books. And as Charlotte mentions, I love how Tessa manages Will; she always seems to have something to say in response to his snide remarks that infuriates him when she has the chance to do so.

Ghastly wailing noise, isn’t it? I don’t know how all the cats in the neighborhood don’t come running every time he plays.

Will is a humorously sarcastic (and cute... sarcastically cute?) person who keeps others at a distance from him and tries to keep his true emotions at bay. He's not exactly my favorite character in Clockwork Angel, mainly because he's really rude to others, despite the fact other characters care about him and continue to be nice to him either way (to which I have no clue how they actually deal with his attitude all the time). Will somehow always tries to find a way for others to hate him. But despite the fact that he's arrogant in a way, it's hard to notice that with his witty comments here and there.

Goodness – real goodness – has its own sort of cruelty to it.

On the other hand, Jem is completely opposite from Will's character and like Tessa, always has something to say in response to Will's snide remarks. He also tries to see the bright side of things or both sides of a situation, and in light of that, always has a bit of good advice to reassure Tessa or any other character throughout the book. And speaking of advice...

Overall, Clockwork Angel has a unique fantasy storyline set in Victorian London and has a variety of characters that are well-liked. To be honest, I'm now wondering why I decided to not read Cassandra Clare's books in the first place when I first saw it (saying that the book was thick would be a fib).