bookwyrmingthoughts

Cole Gibsen
Scarlette
Davonna Juroe
Afterlife Academy - Jaimie Admans Originally posted on Bookwyrming Thoughts

Note: Formatting is lost due to copy and paste.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. My review is not influenced in any way.

I honestly thought I was going to silently scream and run in terror from the first few chapters of reading. Not that it was bad, because it wasn't bad, but because I recently finished Dreamland a few weeks before I started and I didn't think I could deal with any romance components added in (er, I don't think I need to tell why either... because it would be long and this review spotlight is shining on Afterlife Academy, not a required reading from centuries ago *innocent face*).

I think I should now warn of a tad bit of comparing and contrasting between Dreamland and Afterlife Academy throughout. No venn diagrams were created in the process (though I probably did behind the scenes... mentally).

Despite my having to “run and hide” with other good books to relieve myself of the terror, Afterlife Academy was better than I had actually expected. To be brutally honest, I thought it was going to be just as bad and I'd have to permanently stick with mysteries/thrillers (hmm, maybe Stephen King :p) or maybe even other genres for the rest of my life. Or maybe, really hide in an actual closed cubicle. Eep.

Also, despite the fact that the main character Riley is basically complaining throughout the book that she didn't belong at the academy and about her love life with her former live boyfriend, there was just something there that made me not hide in a closed cubicle: Admans' style of writing and the main character's tone.

The tone and style of writing sounded almost like a monologue and it felt like I was more in Riley's shoes (or maybe even right next to her) than just standing in the background the entire watching everything in the book (and time) fly by. Generally, you'll probably feel as though you're lurking around. And then afterwards, you end up asking:

I would also never have thought that Riley would actually be a humorous person. She didn't really seem that type of person - it seemed more of Narissa's style than Riley's. If anything, Afterlife Academy is a nice change in the Paranormal genre of YA. Because really, where do you usually find a school just for dead teenagers in books? Hogwarts doesn't really accept them (it's sad if you ask me...) and they're hardly mentioned.