bookwyrmingthoughts

Senshi
Cole Gibsen
Scarlette
Davonna Juroe
Fire (Elements of Power, #1) - Heather     James Original Review posted on Bookwyrming Thoughts
Original Rating: 3.5

Note: Formatting is lost due to copy and paste.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for a honest review. My review is not influenced in any way.

Fire turned out to be better than I expected, in most cases. Can I still mention how dreadful cliffhangers are? They're quite agonizing. Very painful, in fact. And here there's a dreadful (in a good way) last sentence staring (hopefully not laughing silently) in my face.

There tends to be a lot of errors found throughout Fire here and there. While I may have originally wanted to give it a lower rating than currently because the errors interrupted the fluency and flow, a few things I thought about for a few days made me change mind and give it a bit higher rating instead:

I love Roxy's character. She seems to have an interesting life as a Protector of the Helian Realm, and she turned out to be a much better character than I had thought she was. She also has this sort of smart-alecky personality.

Jasmine, on the other hand, was meh. Her side of the story seemed to lag a bit for awhile – more about partying and celebrating and Brae. It was more interesting later. In fact, once I got into the interesting part, I forgot to watch the time and missed the first few minutes of Grimm. I probably should've continued reading though, since that black fly person episode, which I can't figure out the name besides the fact it sounds like Jinnamu Xinto, was utterly disgusting.

In some books, I sometimes want to hug a character, glare at the character, throw something at the character, or just something else entirely with reason, but can't since they're fictional. All I can do is have a hair-tearing frustration or turn into a virtual cheerleader on the sidelines. (No offense, really.)

Fire is one of those books. There's probably a whole list of characters, but I'll probably name some. I would probably hug Roxy because of how she turned out later, even if it as the words "TROUBLE" written all around it from every side and angle. I would probably give Jasmine the not-amused face because of her chosen decision near the end, though there might be a reason. (I won't forget to add that cliffhanger to the list...) I guess I can just ponder on that for now. I would probably facepalm Brae. Just for being a bit irrational and being a bit of an "air-head" near the end. It might just be to satisfy someone else though. But I'll never know until possibly later, so I'll just stick with facepalm for now. I'll give him credit for being different from his people and not believing until he sees it.

And I would definitely throw something at Cin. Just for turning out to be opposite of what I really thought. I guess some characters don't turn out the way they seem and are a bit full of surprises with their actions/decisions sometimes, until it's actually revealed.