bookwyrmingthoughts

Senshi
Cole Gibsen
Scarlette
Davonna Juroe
Snow White Blood Red (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #1) - Cameron Jace Original Review posted on Bookwyrming Thoughts.

Note: Part of The Grimm Diaries Prequels 1-6. Reviewing the prequels separately.

Disclaimer: I recieved this book from the author for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not influence my review in any way.

I'm a sucker for fairy tales. Especially retellings. I always enjoy hearing other peoples' way of telling fairy tales (or even myths). It's always entertaining (hey, it's a good way of entertaining *popcorn*) to see their way of telling the story and keeping some of the elements in the original stories.

I haven't read the original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales. From what I've heard, I don't think I want to read it either (talk about gruesome and nightmares haunting me). I think I should save most of my fairy tale babbling for later. (If I actually decide to review all of them as a whole. Did I just give a what-you-might-see-on-my-review spoiler??? *sticks "magic" beans back in the cabinet and locks it*)

Since this is coming from the "evil queen" of the original Snow White (I'm talking the happily-ever-after version; not gruesome one here), I find it interesting to read her side of the story. Comparing to the original, it has a unique plot and twist (and who doesn't love uniqueness?) but it didn't really seem like a retelling. I also found it an interesting twist because not just the queen has darkness somewhere inside her (and friendly too sometimes), but Snow White, the innocent and sweet girl we've all come to know from childhood has darkness as well.

While it has the twists of an intriguing plot, I'm finding a few errors here and there, though the author has mentioned that since September 11, 2012, the novella has been edited and grammatical errors only exist in older versions. I do know for a fact that I'm interested to see what other twists the author has come up with in the rest of the prequels though.